Open to all skill Levels
Ornamented Platter Workshop
Whether you’re looking for a truly stunning gift or want to stretch your woodworking skills on a project with a big “Wow!” factor, this ornamented platter designed by instructor Doug Forsha is a great piece to make and to show off. While it looks complicated, this class is suitable for beginners and combines several great skills for a fun learning experience and a really impressive finished product.
In this two-day workshop, you’ll start with raw Mahogany, add inlays of Cherry, Walnut and Maple then cut and assemble a turning blank with these decorative inlays, then you will turn a round platter, which is achieved by using a special jig and a dovetail chuck — both great techniques to learn.
Even if you have never used a lathe before, Doug will walk you through every step of the process, making it safe and fun. You will learn competence with a variety of gluing and turning techniques, and will make a beautiful and functional platter along the way.
You will learn:
· How to prepare raw wood for turning
· How to shape and glue wood into a custom blank for turning
· Safe and effective use of the lathe
· How to turn a round platter
· How to turn parallel surfaces with a jig (duplicator)
· How to create a dovetail pocket
· How to use the dovetail chuck
· Sanding for a smooth finish