The age-old art of woodcarving allows you to use small amounts of wood and a few simple tools to create anything from spoons to toys to ornate figuring. You can even use carving to embellish other projects.
It’s a great skill and a lot of fun—it’s even portable!
In this two-day workshop, master carver Janet Bolyard will teach you all the basics of carving, including plenty of other tips and tricks for success from start to finish.
Day 1: Carving in the round. Each student will make a three-piece set of kitchen utensils, including a stirring spoon, blunted-end spoon, and spatula.
Day 2: Relief carving techniques, including pattern design and transfer. Each student will carve a grapes-and-leaves illustration suitable for display.
Let’s start carving!
You will learn:
- tool safety
- carving techniques
- wood selection
- pattern design
- pattern layout and transfer
- options for embellishment
Prerequisite: None. Open to everyone.
- Detail Knife
- 3/12 Gouge
- 4/20 Gouge
- 5/16 Gouge
- 5L/16 Bent Gouge
- 11/2 V-tool
Material: Supplied by school
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation Policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understand these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. Effective May 26, 2020:
- We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than eight (8) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
- All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
- All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
- When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
- Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
- Thank you for your understanding.