Lidded containers are among the most useful — and challenging — objects you can make on a lathe. Turned boxes can be rustic or elegant, ornamented or simple, and mastering them will dramatically improve your overall turning skills.
In this exciting five-day workshop, professional turner Matt Monaco will guide you through a variety of exercises to help you master fundamental cutting techniques and train your eye (and hands) to design and execute fine forms.
Each student will make several lidded boxes in a variety of woods, allowing you to develop your own individual style as you learn to design and turn beautifully proportioned boxes with an emphasis on fine detail.
You will learn to:
• Develop solid fundamental cutting techniques based on understanding principles of grain orientation
• Develop confidence & skill in sharpening lathe tools
• Create turned vessels with perfectly fitted lids
• Design and create in a series
• Recognize design opportunities and develop your eye for fine form
• Turn fine detail & cut clean with a variety of turning tools