- This event has passed.
Turning with Jimmy Clewes
November, 21 - November, 22 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM$392
Master turner Jimmy Clewes manages to produce his own beautiful work while also writing books, making videos, and teaching classes across the globe. And he does it all with his great British wit and sense of humor.
A renowned master of the craft, Jimmy returns to share his own innovative techniques for hollowing shapes and perfecting curves as students learn to make platters, goblets, and plenty of beautiful bowls in this hands-on workshop.
New turners are welcome, and students who have already taken one of Jimmy’s classes will be given advanced projects to push their skills even further. Everyone will make several projects according to their skills and interests and Jimmy will cover options for finishing turnings with color and other techniques.
You will learn:
- Ergonomics of turning
- Design, shape, and form
- How to use and maintain the bowl gouge
- Draw cut, push cut, micro bevel, shear cut, and wing angle
- Jimmy’s method of hollowing
- Turning platters, bowls, and goblets
- Turning natural edged projects
- Turning wet wood
- Getting and refining a curve
- Applying color and other finishes
- And so much more!
Those who attend and successfully complete three of Jimmy’s classes will receive a beautiful framed “Certificate of Accomplishment”
Prerequisite: None. Open to all skill levels.
Tools required: All tools and materials supplied by the school. However, if you have your own turning tools that you would like to use, you are welcome to bring them.
Please bring ear and eye protection and a safety mask.
Class size: Maximum 8.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understand these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. Effective May 26, 2020:
- We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than eight (8) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
- All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
- All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
- When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
- Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.
Meet Your Instructor
Jimmy is not your ordinary woodturner. Upon a first meeting one would think of him as a renegade, a free thinker and not within the stereotypical image of a woodturner. His charming British style, unending wit, creative mind and magnetic personality are only some of the attributes that make him popular in the woodturning demonstration circuit.