- This event has passed.
July, 25 - July, 26 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM$320
Prerequisite: None. Open to all skill levels.
The router is an indispensable part of today’s woodshop, but this versatile tool has even more applications than most people realize. Join master furniture-maker Andy Glantz to learn all about the safe and creative use of the router, as well as the bits, jigs and fixtures that make this tool so incredibly useful and a key to contemporary woodworking.
No matter what prior experience you’ve had with the router, this two-day class is a great opportunity to become a competent and safe router user.
Each day will feature a mix of presentations, demonstrations, hands-on practice, and review. Bring your own router and bits or use ours. If you would like to purchase a router in advance of the class and would like some guidance on what to buy, feel free to email email@example.com.
You will learn: Router functions and safety; basic router use; cutters, collars, collets, and fences and how to use them; and design, construction, and use of basic router jigs.
PowerPoint about routers and safety, and then about the different kinds of jigs
Practice edge routs
Assemble sole plate jig (adjustable for two different lengths) for catch rout
Rout for catch
Drawer joint on the router table
Cut boxes in halves
Assemble jig for hinges
Hinge rout (with bearing guide jig)
Edge treatment with follow bearing on the router table
Tools required: Tool kit supplied by the school. However, if you have your own router and bits, you are encouraged to bring them.
Please bring ear and eye and hearing protection and a safety mask.
Class size: Maximum 8.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understand these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. Effective May 26, 2020:
- We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than eight (8) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
- All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
- All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
- When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
- Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.
Meet Your Instructor
Andy Glantz designs and builds contemporary sculptural furniture in his Scottsdale, AZ workshop. He is a member and past President of The Furniture Society, owner of Zenith Design and has been active in numerous volunteer and non-profit arts organizations over the years.