OVT201G21 Oval Table with Michael Fortune
July, 12 - July, 16 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM$990
After waiting for more than a year (due to the pandemic) we are finally bringing Michael back. (hopefully it will work this time)
Internationally regarded furniture designer and popular SSW instructor Michael Fortune is back with a great new design for a very contemporary oval table.
For this master class, Michael has designed a stunning oval table featuring elegant offset arcs on the top, and two bold legs for the base. This piece is perfect for a coffee table, measuring 30″ x 46″ x 16″ H, but the size can be adapted depending on your needs and interests (NOTE: larger sizes may incur an additional materials fee).
Ovals are an intriguing shape and they work well in many spaces, but their proportions can be tricky and cutting smooth curves is a challenge.
But never fear! Michael will walk us through every stage of the design and construction, including how to customize the design to suit the size you need, how to cut ovals by hand or with a router jig, and how to use a band saw jig to achieve the smooth arcs on the top. The base of the sample table was stack-laminated and ebonized, but other options are available and Michael will be happy to work with you to design your own unique work of art.
You will learn:
- Design principles
- How to make pleasing design variations
- How to make an oval shape to the proper proportions
- Use of the band saw to cut your shapes
- Ebonizing wood
- How to make stacked laminates
- and much more…
Prerequisite: Open to intermediate woodworkers who have completed Fundamentals of Traditional Woodworking III or equivalent.
Tools required: All tools and materials supplied by the school.
Please bring ear and eye protection and a face mask.
Class size: Maximum 9.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understood these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. Effective May 26, 2020:
* We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than eight (8) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
* All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
* All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
* When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
* Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.
Meet Your Instructor
Designer/maker, teacher and mentor Michael C. Fortune is one of Canada’s most respected and creative contemporary furniture masters. He is acknowledged for both his technical and design expertise, giving lectures and workshops across Canada and the United States. His work has appeared in numerous exhibitions worldwide. In 1993 Michael received the prestigious Prix Saidye Bronfman, Canada’s highest award in the crafts, and in 2007 he received the Award of Distinction from The Furniture Society. For more information, visit www.michaelfortune.com.
- July 12@9:00 am
- July 16@5:00 pm
- Event Category:
- All Classes