- This event has passed.
ORP101D21 Ornamented Round Platter with Doug Forsha
April, 24 - April, 25 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM$399
Open to all skill Levels
Ornamented Platter Workshop
Whether you’re looking for a truly stunning gift or want to stretch your woodworking skills on a project with a big “Wow!” factor, this ornamented platter designed by instructor Doug Forsha is a great piece to make and to show off. While it looks complicated, this class is suitable for beginners and combines several great skills for a fun learning experience and a really impressive finished product.
In this two-day workshop, you’ll start with raw Cherry wood, then cut and assemble a turning blank with decorative inlays, then will turn a round platter with parallel sides, which is achieved by using a special jig and a dovetail chuck — both great techniques to learn.
Even if you have never used a lathe before, Doug will walk you through every step of the process, making it safe and fun. You will learn competence with a variety of gluing and turning techniques, and will make a beautiful and functional platter along the way.
You will learn:
· How to prepare raw wood for turning
· How to shape and glue wood into a custom blank for turning
· Safe and effective use of the lathe
· How to turn a round platter
· How to turn parallel surfaces with a jig (duplicator)
· How to create a dovetail pocket
· How to use the dovetail chuck
· Sanding for a smooth finish
No prerequisite necessary. Class is suitable for beginners.
All tools and materials supplied by the school.
Please bring ear and eye protection and a properly-fitting face mask that covers your nose and mouth (valved masks are not allowed).
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understood these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus.
• We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than nine (9) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
• All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
• All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
• When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
• Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.
- April 24@9:00 am
- April 25@5:00 pm