The band saw is perhaps the most misunderstood machine in the shop. However, a properly-tuned band saw can — and perhaps should — be the center of an efficient wood shop. It can make accurate and effortless cuts, including rip cuts, and removes much less material than a table saw.
However, the key to that efficiency is: “A properly-tuned band saw.” Many woodworkers do not understand how to adjust and manage the band saw for optimum results.
Luckily, we have a virtuoso of the tool in our friend Michael Fortune. In this workshop, Michael will teach us all how he makes the band saw sing.
You will learn:
- How to mount the blade
- How to set the blade tension
- How to tune the bandsaw to make perfect cuts
- Correct sawing and resawing techniques
- How to eliminate “drift”
- Blade selection
- Making joinery on the band saw
- And more…
Tools required: All tools and materials supplied by the school.
Please bring ear and eye protection and a properly-fitting face mask that covers your nose and mouth (valved masks are not acceptable). Closed toed shoes are required
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understood these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus.
- We will be strictly limiting class sizes to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
- All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
- All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
- Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.