- This event has passed.
Lidded Vessels with Finial with Matt Monaco
December, 16 - December, 18 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM MST$549.00
An elegant jar is one of the most refined projects in woodturning, and also one of the most elusive to get right. Selecting the wood, controlling the proportions, and cutting a tight-fitting lid are all unique challenges in their own right — let alone in combination.
But professional turner Matt Monaco will speed you along in your turning journey and give you all the secrets to turning a beautiful jar finished with a classic tear-drop finial. He’ll also give you a sneak peak into the techniques covered in his upcoming article for Fine Woodworking magazine about turning lidded containers.
By practicing effective tool control under Matt’s guidance, you will refine your technique and will discover how body mechanics and correct use of the basic range of turning tools can produce exceptional results. Matt will also show you how simple tool modifications can greatly improve the overall cleanliness of surfaces and the refinement of the finished form.
In this empowering three-day class, you will make multiple jars that allow you to practice the many skills necessary for successful turning, and will leave with functional and attractive vessels just right for holiday gifting — or keeping.
You’ll learn to:
– Understand principles of wood selection and how to use both side and end grain orientation
– Develop a solid cutting technique with the full range of turning tools
– Develop confidence and skill in sharpening and shaping tools, as well as basic modifications for better results
– Develop finesse at the lathe and apply fine tool control
– Create & design in a series
– Turn fine detail
– Develop your eye for fine form, and reading line and curve
– Create a fine finish
– Understand the difference between an item for functional use versus display
None. Open to beginners.
All tools and materials are supplied by the school. Please bring eye and ear protection and a properly-fitted safety mask that covers the nose and mouth. Valved masks are not acceptable.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understood these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, and due to the recent resurgence of the Covid Virus, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus.
- We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than nine (9) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
- All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school. Valved masks are not acceptable.
- Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—are asked not to attend.
Thank you for your understanding.