- This event has passed.
FTW100A21 Fundamentals of Traditional Woodworking I
January, 6 - January, 28 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM$664
No skills necessary
Open to all
This hands-on course is for the beginning woodworker or anyone who wishes to review fundamental skills and get a solid foundation in and competence with hand-tools. It is the first class in the three-part Fundamentals series and is the prerequisite for Fundamentals II.
We start by learning the basics of wood technology, hand tool use, design, and by making fundamental joinery
You will learn
• Workshop safety
• the basics of wood and wood movement
• the use and maintenance of basic hand tools (planes, chisels, etc.)
• how to sharpen edge tools
• measuring and marking out, and basic joinery.
• exercises include:
• half-blind dovetails
• half-lap joints, and
• mortise and tenon joints.
Schedule: Four weeks of evening classes from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a total of 33 instruction hours, with additional shop time available as needed to work on the exercises.
Tools required: Tool kit supplied by the school.
Please bring ear and eye protection and a safety mask.
Class size: Minimum 4, Maximum 9.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understand these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. Effective May 26, 2020:
• We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than eight (9) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
• All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
• All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
• When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
• Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.