Meet your Instructor
Fine Woodworking Orbita
Start woodworking now!
Do you want to learn to build with wood? Whether you’re interested in a career as a furniture maker or just looking for a creative hobby, this class will give you a foundation for success — and a lot of fun, too.
This hands-on course is for the beginning woodworker or anyone who wishes to review fundamental skills and get a solid foundation in and competence with hand-tools and basic woodworking principles. Our evening classes are convenient for busy schedules, and we offer additional shop time as needed.
This is the first class in the three-part Fundamentals series and is the prerequisite for Fundamentals II.
We start by learning basic workshop safety, wood technology, hand tool use and maintenance, measuring and marking, and basic joinery. Students will practice each new skill through progressively more complex exercises, which will include making functional woodworking tools.
You’ll build confidence and competence that will prepare you for a lifetime of woodworking happiness.
You will learn
• Workshop safety
• the basics of wood and wood movement
• the use and maintenance of basic hand tools (planes, chisels, etc.)
• how to sharpen edge tools
• measuring and marking out, and basic joinery.
• exercises include:
• half-blind dovetails
• half-lap joints, and
• mortise and tenon joints.
Schedule: Four weeks of evening classes from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a total of 33 instruction hours, with additional shop time available as needed to work on the exercises.
Tools required: Tool kit supplied by the school.
Please bring ear and eye protection and a safety mask.
Class size: Minimum 5, Maximum 9.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understood these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus, delta variant. Effective July 26 we will be requiring everyone to wear a mask while in the building.
• We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than nine (9) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
• All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
• All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
• Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding
Fine Woodworking Orbita