- This event has passed.
FTW100H21 Fundamentals of Traditional Woodworking I
August, 16 - September, 9 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM MST$664
This hands-on course is for the beginning woodworker or anyone who wishes to review fundamental skills and get a solid foundation in and competence with hand-tools. It is the first class in the three-part Fundamentals series and is the prerequisite for Fundamentals II.
We start by learning basic workshop safety, wood technology, hand tool use and maintenance, measuring and marking, and basic joinery. Students will practice each new skill through progressively more complex exercises, which will include making functional woodworking tools.
You will learn:
- Workshop safety
- Wood and wood movement
- Use and maintenance of basic hand tools, such as planes, chisels, etc.
- How to sharpen edge tools
- Measuring and marking out
- Basic joinery, including:
Mortise and tenon joints
Schedule: Four weeks of evening classes from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. on Monday*, Wednesday, and Thursday for a total of 33 instruction hours, with additional shop time available as needed (appointments required) to work on the exercises. *Please note there will be no class on Monday Sept. 6 in observance of Labor Day.
Tools required: All tools and materials supplied by the school.
Please bring ear and eye protection and a safety mask.
Class size: Minimum 4, Maximum 9.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understand these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. Effective May 26, 2020:
• We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than eight (9) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
• All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
• All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
• When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
• Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—regardless of cause—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.