- This event has passed.
FIN400J21 Ornamental Advanced Finishing
October, 8 - October, 10 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM MST$499
While a basic finish can protect your woodworking, a great finish can turn it into a work of art.
There are many techniques available to allow the skilled finisher to enhance the wood itself, as well as some that let you turn that wood into something else entirely — or at least look like it.
In this course, we will focus on a variety of ornamental finishes, which can be applied across a large area — such as a marbleized dresser top, or used as a decorative element on a small portion of a piece — like a gilded edge on a picture frame.
This advanced finishing class, taught by master finisher Jim Altman, is intended for students who have completed our Finishing Basic and Finishing Intermediate classes or equivalent.
Students will learn how to design and apply a variety of ornamental finishes, including gilding, distressing, and faux finishes such as marble, stone, and tortoise shell.
Each class will include lectures, demonstrations, and plenty of hands-on practice with tools and materials as you learn to design and execute ornamental finishes and special effects.
By making several sample boards under Jim’s excellent tutelage, you will be able to practice each technique and to leave with a useful portfolio to reference for future designs.
You will learn:
• Gilding for ornamentation
• Leafing, silver, copper, gold
• Leaf patination
• Faux effects
• Tortoise shell
• Special effects
Prerequisite: Finishing Intermediate or equivalent.
Tools required: All tools and materials supplied by the school.
Please bring: ear and eye protection and a safety mask.
Please read and understand our Refund and Cancellation policies. By making payment you acknowledge that you have read and understand these policies.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to our standard class policies, we are taking additional precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. Effective May 26, 2020:
• We will be strictly limiting class sizes to no more than eight (8) students to allow for adequate distancing between class participants.
• All benches and shared tools will be sanitized before and after each class.
• All students, instructors, and staff are required to wear a properly-fitted mask that securely covers the nose and mouth while inside the school.
• When entering the school, all students, instructors, and staff will have their temperature checked. Anyone with a temperature above 100.3 will not be allowed to enter the building.
• Anyone exhibiting any cold or flu-like symptoms—even if it is believed to be allergy-related—will not be allowed to enter the building.
Thank you for your understanding.